A Top Ten from FOONYAP who released her debut full-length, Palimpsest, in October.
1. Woodpigeon - T R O U B L E 2. L.T. Leif - Shadow on the Brim / Rough Beasts 3. Null Command - User Manual 4. Entropy - An Ant and An Atom 5. JindaLee - Wild Spectrum 6. Woulg - Tiny Moon 7. OffWorld - 1 8. The Highest Order - Still Holding 9. Consilience - Under Our Beds 10. Alder & Ash - Psalms for the Sunder
1. Nap Eyes - Thought Rock Fish Scale 2. Modern Studies - Swell to Great 3. Various Artists - Song, By Toad Split 12” Volume 4 4. Faith Eliott - Insects 5. Amanda Bergman - Docks 6 Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch 7. Honeyblood - Babes Never Die 8. David Thomas Broughton - The Crippling Lack 9. Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book 10. Okkervil River - Away
1. Parquet Courts - Human Performance 2. Treetop Flyers - Palomino 3. Joe Bonamassa - Blues of Desperation 4. Black Mountain - IV 5. Okkervil River - Away 6. Case Lang Veirs - CLV 7. Emma Pollock - In Search of Harperfield 8. Billie Marten - Writing of Blues & Yellows 9. Mystery Jets - Curve of the Earth 10. White Denim - Stiff
Top 10 Gigs
The Blue Aeroplanes - The Fleece Lucero - Brudenell Hurrah For The Riff Raff - Brudenell The Sheepdogs - Gasa Gasa, New Orleans Bo Ningen - Leeds Irish Centre Parquet Courts - Wardrobe Cabbage - Ritz, Manchester Anathema - Picturedrome Beverly - Picturedrome Turin Brakes - Picturedrome
Teenage Fanclub - EOTR Thee Oh Sees - EOTR The Blind Shake - EOTR C Duncan - Deershed Primal Scream - On Roundhay Throws - EOTR Fizzy Blood - Live at Leeds Emma Pollock - Deershed Boxed In - Deershed Goat - EOTR
1971 - David Hepworth
Worst moment of 2016 : The obvious losses we have endured, especially for me 2/3 of ELP passing.
Best : New album announcement from The Blue Aeroplanes...
Here is a top 10 of the year from Tiger Lillies bass player Adrian Stout.
1. Leonard Cohen - You want it Darker 2. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool 3. Beak> - Couple in a Hole soundtrack 4. David Bowie - Black Star 5. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree 6. The Fat White Family - Songs for our Mothers 8. Jambinai - A Hermitage 9. Shirley Collins - Lodestar 10. PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
The new album from The Tiger Lillies: 'Cold Night In Soho' is due on 26 January 2017, a week before a major solo concert for the band at the Roundhouse in London, which forms part of the venue’s “In the Round” season on 3rd February, 2017. Tickets are Here
This is also the band’s first album not connected to a theatre show in about ten years, representing a return to song-writing for the sake of the songs alone. To mark this high-profile occasion the album will be released in a limited-edition vinyl pressing featuring ten of the songs, as well as a CD, with the full complement of 16 songs.
With his 'Best Male Vocal' from the British Blues Awards, King King's Alan Nimmo delivers his Top Ten Albums of 2016:
1. Chris Stapleton – Traveler 2. Thunder – Wonder Days 3. Tyketto – Reach 4. The Stevie Nimmo Trio – Sky Won't Fall 5. Joanne Shaw Taylor – Wild 6. Amos Lee – Spirit 7. The Brothers Landreth – Let it Lie 8. Joe Bonamassa – Blues of Desperation 9. Walter Trout – Alive in Amsterdam 10. Knock Out Kain – Rise of the Electric Jester
1 David Bowie - Black Star 2 Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree 3 Drive by Truckers - American Band 4 Whitney - Light Upon The Lake 5 Leonard Cohen - You want it Darker 6 Radiohead - Moon Shaped Pool 7 American Football - LP2 8 Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack 9 Wilco - Schmilco 10 The Rolling Stones - Blue & Lonesome
1 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Ricoh Arena, Coventry 2 David Gilmour - Royal Albert Hall 3 Neil Young & The Promise of the Real - O2 London 4 Coldplay - Wembley Stadium 5 AC/DC (with Axl Rose) - London Stadium 6 The Cure - Wembley Arena 7 Cinematic Orchestra - Rock City, Nottingham 8 Wilco - Brixton Academy 9 Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Genting Arena, Birmingham 10 Sleater Kinney - Sydney Opera House
1 Thee Oh Sees - End of the Road 2 Low - Caught by the River 3 Warpaint - Green Man 4 Bill Ryder-Jones - Howlin' Fling, Eigg 5 Local Natives - End of the Road 6 Sigur ros - Citadel festival 7 The Magnetic North - Green Man 8 Whitney - Green Man 9 Beach House - Laneway Festival 10 Lush - Green Man
Best and worst Musical moments
Best: Going to a gig at the Sydney Opera House
Worst: The passing of David Bowie and all the musical legends who died this year.
Julia Jacklin - Pool Party
David Millar - The Racer: The Inside Story of Life on the Road
1. Boy King - Wild Beasts 2. Skeleton Tree - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 3. Hope Demolition Project - PJ Harvey 4. 22, A Million - Bon Iver 5. Bat For Lashes - The Bride 6. Kevin Morby - Singing Saw 7. GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object 8. Preoccupations - Preoccupations 9. Gold Panda - Good Luck and Do Your Best 10. Anonhi - HOPELESSNESS
Chaleur Humaine by Christine and the Queens is the only new album I've properly listened to that came out in 2016. Mostly in this year of shock, horror and dismay I've turned to comfortable favourites like Out of Time, Blue and Fleetwood Mac's greatest hits to guide me through. BUT, there is something positive on the horizon...I'm so looking forward to maybe finding new music from Bon Iver, Conor Oberst and Leonard Cohen in my Christmas stocking. So no top ten from me, but an anticipation of a better year ahead x
Top 2016 Gig
1) Christine and the Queens at Brixton Academy
Top Three 2016 Festival Appearances.
James @ On Blackheath (AMAZING) Unknown Mortal Orchestra @ Green Man Slow Club @ Green Man
I Daniel Blake
His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet
Tilted by Christine and the Queens
Best and worst musical moments
Worst, the death of Leonard Cohen Best, everyone dancing and singing along to Songhoy Blues at Green Man
1 Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve – The Soft Bounce 2 Nancy Kerr- Instar 3 Minor Victories – The Debut Album 4 Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker - Overnight 5 Lucinda Williams – The Ghosts of Highway 20 6 Luh – Spiritual Songs for Lovers to Sing 7 Lisa Hannigan – At Swim 8 The Wedding Present – Going ,Going ... 9 Blair Dunlop – Gilded 10 Metallica – Hardwired ... to Self-destruct
Top Ten Gigs
1 Muse, Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham 2 PJ Harvey, The Eden Project 3 Brian Wilson, Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham 4 Savages, The Junction, Cambridge 5 Preservation Hall Brass Band, Preservation Hall, New Orleans 6 Eliza Carthy and The Wayward Band, Glee Club, Nottingham 7 Wilco, Albert Hall, Manchester 8 Stick In The Wheel, Village Folk, Derby 9 Lake Street Dive, Scala, London 10 Lucinda Williams, The Plug, Sheffield Individual performance worthy of mention – Dr Ruth Skipper of Moulettes rocking out with her bassoon, an instrument previously unknown to rock out with.
Top Ten Festival Appearances
1 Josienne Clarke & Ben Walker, Derby Cathedral, Derby Folk Festival 2 Peggy Seeger, Derby Folk Festival 3 The Human League, Splendour 4 Bat for Lashes, End of The Road 5 Goat, End of The Road 6 Broken Social Scene, End of The Road 7 Primal Scream , On Roundhay 8 Fairport Convention, Derby Folk Festival 9 Teenage Fan Club ,End of The Road 10 Whitney , End of The Road
Worst and Best Musical moments – (sadly) David Bowie dying and then hearing all the great music he made being played everywhere for the next week. The intro to 'All The Young Dudes' still brings a tear.
Annoying developing live music trend - People talking during shows. It easy folks, music is designed to be listened to, sung along with, danced to, or all three, not for being talked over. Talking whilst a musician is playing is disrespectful to the musicians and annoys other audience members who have paid to hear the musician, not you. Stop It Now.