City Of Ashes Top Ten Albums 2016
1. Yashin - The Renegades: This record became the sound track to so much of our 2016 and we'll forever be grateful to the Yashin boys for taking us out on their album release tour earlier this year. It kick started an incredible 12 months for us and I suspect this one will always hold a special place in our hearts.
2. Death Valley High - Cvlt [as fvk]: We first met these boys on tour with Trapt a couple of years ago. They became the reason we were asked to join the tour drunk as anything at 3amon a Tuesday in Swansea and honestly we couldn't be more grateful. In fact we head out on our first ever European tour next year thanks largely to these guys and can't wait to hit the road with them. I think their new single from this record is their most catchy and fun track yet whilst still being true to the band's image. It reminds me of Marilyn Manson mixed with a little Deftones.
3. Jimmy Eat World - Integrity Blues: I'm such a massive fan of this band, particularly having spent so much time growing up in the same home town of Tempe, Arizona. I can't think of many bands that manage to churn out such great catchy, energetic pop rock tracks at such consistency. This record pushes the band into a mellower and almost reflective sound which (of course) they get just right.
4. Young Guns - Echoes: Playing this year's Butserfest with Young Guns was a real highlight for me and I've loved their new release. Not much more I can say other than another great record from a great band!
5. The Amity Affliction - This Could Be Heartbreak: I have a huge amount of time for what this band stand for and how giving Joel is of himself to his art and to those that find strength in it. I was in touch with him earlier in the year about our own depression project (The Sometimes Project) and he was enormously supportive of it and us. It's great to see them getting the level of international recognition they deserve.
6. City of Ashes - Rise: I wouldn't normally be down with sticking our own record in something like this but knowing how much went into it keeps me feeling incredibly proud of the achievement. I think myself and James worked around 1500 bar shift hours between us to fund the record so I rate it as a win.
7. Blink 182 - California: I think a lot of people would agree with this. The new vocals and guitar parts have injected a lot of energy and enthusiasm back into the band and created a fun record to listen to.
8. Hands Like Houses - Dissonants: Without doubt my single favourite record of the year. So many great rock tracks!!
9. Tonight Alive - Limitless: I caught their performance from Download this year and what a hell of a performer Jenna is! Another fantastic record.
10. The 1975 - I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful: Probably played in the tour van more than any other record this year. The boys got really into this one. A fun record to round off the list!